Project-based learning in NGSS for VT and NH teachers of grades 5–12
VEEP and NHEEP support grade 5-12 teachers and teacher teams through our Energy Action Project Institute as they plan authentic, standards-anchored, project based learning units and then work with their students on energy projects around conservation, efficiency, or renewable energy. EAPI provides extensive Project Based Learning planning support and partnership with a VEEP/NHEEP educator, who is also available to further support teacher/student teams with energy project planning, resources (including introductions to energy specialists/consultants) and project execution. This program includes all the attributes to support successful PBL, including coherent learning opportunities with embedded transferable skill development, naturally authentic audiences, and room for students to personalize according to interests.
This Professional Development opportunity can be engaged with for PD hours, or be enriched into a 3 credit graduate course through Castleton University. The program begins with a kick-off PD and planning meeting earlier in the school year, with support continuing throughout the school year. (Rolling admissions options can be discussed, in coordination with Mariah Keagy, Energy Action Program Manager).
- Program details
Program support includes:
- Energy and PBL professional development
- Virtual Student Energy Fair
- Coordination w/ Energy Specialists/consultants
- Grant application support and mini-grants (available directly through VEEP/NHEEP)
- School energy data collection and interpretation
- Energy measurement equipment and training
- Monthly/weekly support meetings during project execution
- Coordination with other schools/groups working on similar projects
- Project problem solving and systems navigation expertise
- Ongoing project support available from year-to-year
Fall kick-off meeting date:
October 5th, 2021, 2pm-5pm, Montpelier, VT.
If the time or the location does not work for you, please let us know via the "Additional Requests" box in the registration form below. We would be happy to work with you to ensure that you have a virtual or in-person alternative at a later date.
Deadline to register: October 1st, 2021
Graduate credit & PD hours
Teachers can choose whether to take this program for:
- Three graduate credits: $1100 per teacher
- 8-15 PD hours: $50 per teacher
If your school is unable to pay these funds let us know, we should be able to find a scholarship for you.
Questions are welcome at email@example.com.
Read more about past Green School Energy Challenge projects in this article in the Green Schools National Network.
Register for Energy Action Project Institute